Smart Tips For Uncovering

The Thought of Passing an Addiction Trait to your Child

There is no shortage of people out there facing all manner of addiction. As soon as they have children, they shall start to worry if they also gave them the addiction. Here is more info on what an addiction would mean in a family.
Addictions, it is sad to learn, are genetic. When kids whose parents were addicted in their time get to their teenage years, they are more susceptible to fall into some form of addiction. This addiction is the result of both genetics and behavior. This goes to show the contributions of behavior alongside those of genetics. The choice of behavior you have, as well as those of your kids, will determine whether they will become addicts as well. Children tend to ape their parents.
As human beings, we share virtually 99.9% of our DNA. The only differences in our DNA are summed up in the other 0.1%. Such a small margin means that you have so much in common with your family members. This shows you how some families have a certain disease affecting them, addictions being one of those. Therefore, having an addiction shod cause you to worry about your child’s fate.
We can also closely examine how behavior is a major part of an addiction. The way you behave in front of your child affects them profoundly. As you use drugs and alcohol, there will always be some around you. So will they. This is how they will get used to such things much earlier than usual. You also have to think of how you expect the child of an addict to end up behaving. You are bound to develop some behavioral issues, one of them, unfortunately, being that addiction.
It is worth mentioning that after having experienced what an addiction does to a family, the lessons learned will have them always conscious of addictions. Children of some addicts have grown to detest and ultimately stay away from a life filled with drugs and alcohol. They will, therefore, do their best to make sure that this does not become the story of their lives in the future. You can make another positive contribution in their lives by making sure that this is not how history now repeats itself.
You can take some time to talk to them about drug and alcohol addiction, and even tell them some of the things you went through because of your addiction. They will see just how bad things can get, and how easily they start. We can see the danger the child is already in, but we can also see there is hope that they will not end up being as their fate wishes.
For those whose personal struggles are ongoing, they shall discover more info on how best to fight it here.